They were established in Barry 1890 as a charitable company limited by guarantee and moved to their current site in 1980. They were revenue funded by Local Authority until 1998 when unitary authority’s changed, 5 members of staff, 1 f/t. After the L.A. withdrew revenue funding the charity went into negative finance. However, following the appointment of a new chairman a clear vision and plan was evolved with the remaining administrative officer to develop the centre for the benefit of its members. At that time the building was in very poor state of repair, with a leaking roof, poor décor, a damp environment, and generally unpleasant.